Did you know? Melanoma is a deadly skin cancer, and there are over 1 million Americans living with melanoma.
Florida has the second-highest incidence of melanoma in the United States.
Sun protection and early detection are key to preventing melanoma.
What do YOU need to be on the look-out for? The ABCDE’s of melanoma are a good place to start!
Asymmetry - one half of the mole does not match the other
Border - the edges are irregular, ragged, notched, blurred; normal moles are
round or oval
Color - the mole is not evenly colored: it may include shades of brown or
black, or patches or pink, red, white or blue.
Diameter - the spot is larger than 6mm across
Evolving - the mole is changing in size
The ‘SPF5K: Shield, Prevent, Fight’ is a fun event organized for the community to promote education on Melanoma and how it can impact you and your loved ones. We have partnered with the Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) in an effort to raise awareness and funds for dermatologic research to find a cure for this cancer.
We invite you to join us on Saturday, April 23rd, 2022 for this year's IN-PERSON SPF 5K race. You can also join us virtually if you prefer.
Funds raised by SPF 5K participants will help advance melanoma research in partnership with the MRF and dermatologic education. By participating in the SPF 5K, you can help make a real difference in the fight against melanoma!
IN-PERSON RACE DETAILS:
- Saturday, April 23rd, 2022 at 8:00 AM
- Walsingham Park, 12615 102nd Ave, Largo, FL 33778, United States
- We invite you to join us on Saturday, April 23rd, 2022 for the SPF5k race around the lake at Walsingham Park in Seminole FL
- The race will be followed by an AFTER-RACE PARTY, where we will have food, fun activities, and opportunities to learn about melanoma. Bring your family and furry friends along for a day in the park!
- Dermatology residents from Bay Dermatology will provide free skin cancer screening.
VIRTUAL RACE DETAILS:
- Run, jog, walk a 5K from any location you choose!
- Participate by yourself, with family, or with friends
- Also includes a medal and T-shirt!
- Complete your run anytime between Saturday, April 16th, 2022, and Saturday, April 23rd, 2022
- Record the time of your virtual race in your profile under 'Submit Virtual Results'
Check us out and give us a follow on Instagram and Facebook for updates and additional information: