The heart shaped lake in the mountains of Abruzzo, is the home of the 2nd race of XTERRA in Italy. A race that has built its reputation as one of the hardest in Europe with some steep and long climbs, reaching the ski slopes on top of the mountains around the lake. The challenge continues with some demanding downhill trails both on the bike and the run that will take you to the shores of the beautiful lake to receive your finisher medal. The historical village of Scanno is unique and you will love to walk around its narrow streets that are full of small restaurants, café and beautiful small shops. Being a winter ski destination it offers a lot of accommodation options and great Italian food.
Organizing company: x-tribe
email: [email protected]
cel: +39 335 527 8050 Massimo Massacesi
+39 338 484 0535 Alex Miconi
THURSDAY 16 JULY
10.00-18.00 Opening of race tracks
FRIDAY 17 JULY
10.00-18.00 Opening of race tracks
14.30 -17.30 Race Office opening and Athletes registration * at XTERRA Village
14.00-18.00 Expo Area
17.30-18.00 Race Briefing *
18.00 Presentation of elite athletes **
SATURDAY 18 JULY
08.00-10.00 Race Office opening and Athletes registration * at XTERRA Village
09.30-10.15 Bike check in XTERRA FULL & SPRINT
10: 00-18: 00 Expo Area
11.00 Departure XTERRA FULL
13.00 Departure XTERRA SPRINT
15.00-19.00 Recovery and Pasta Party
18.00 Award Ceremony and slot assignment for XTERRA Maui
21.00After race XTERRA Party
SUNDAY 19 JULY
10.00-18.00 Area Expo
11.00-12.30 XTERRA Kids, Award Ceremony follow
14.30-17.30 XTERRA Trail Run Award Ceremony follow
The program may be modified
Italian and foreign competitive athletes regularly registered for the respective Triathlon Federations or anyone with a medical certificate of competitive fitness for the triathlon that signs the daily membership.
INFO RELAY RACE
The relay race is scheduled for the FULL distance only, the teams can also be formed by athletes of different sexes. The changes (swimming / biking / running) will take place in the change area at the bike station.
* mandatory for all athletes
** mandatory presence of elite athletes
TRIATHLON FULL DISTANCE
Swimming course: 1500m ( 1300m + 200m) single loop with Australian exit and short run on the wooden bridge incited by the crowd.
Bike course: 30 km on 2 laps , both with passages in the ancient village and in the beautiful mountains, first a short lap of 12km with 400m elevation gain and then after a passage near by the lake and the transition area the long loop : 18km with 900m of climb with technical passages and challenging climbs.
Run course: single lap of 10km and 440m of elevation climb running on beautiful single tracks under the beechwood and on the little streets and stairways of Scanno village. “Sooner or later you will see the lake again, and when you see it again you're there …the goal”
TRIATHLON SPRINT DISTANCE
Swimming course: single lap of 750m with after 550m of swim Australian exit and short run on the wood bridge cheered up by the crowd and then the last 200m before running to the transition area.
Bike course : 12km with 400m elevation gain with passages in the ancient village and in the beautiful mountains with some technical passages. Appropriate for the ones who want to approach Off road Triathlon.
Run course: single loop of 5km with 180 elevation gain running on beautiful single tracks under the beechwood with beautiful view of the lake.
Important: we remind that in order to compete in XTERRA races in Italy you must possess a triathlon national federation card. The athletes who do not possess a license can participate requiring the daily membership, which will be released presenting a medical certificate of agonistic sporting fitness to triathlon. Foreign athletes must as well present a medical certificate of agonistic sporting fitness to triathlon, which must be made in an authorized Italian center. The foreign athletes who do not possess a national federation card must plan it contacting the organization ([email protected]).
1. Swimmers must wear the swim cap provided in the race kit.
2. Pro and elite athletes will be positioned in front of age group and relay participants.
3. Any stroke of a forward motion can be used. No participant may use the buoy line to propel themselves forward. This will result in disqualification.
4. Swimmers must have their race number displayed on both upper arms by race officials prior to the start of the swim.
5. Swimmers must complete the entire swim course unassisted. Failure to complete the course correctly will result in disqualification.
6. Swimmers may not use fins, snorkels, flotation devices, gloves or socks at any time during the swim.
7. No individual escorts or paddlers are allowed at any time during the swim.
8. Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, or extend past the knees. Swimwear may contain a zipper. A race kit may be worn underneath swimwear.
9. Speed suits are allowed. (Speedsuit must be comprised of 100% textile material such as nylon or lyca and must not included rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. The speedsuit may contain a zipper.)
View list of permitted speed suits.
10. A swimmer experiencing difficulty and in need of assistance shall raise an arm overhead, pump it up and down, and call or seek assistance. A swimmer, who has received assistance, whether voluntary or involuntary, must retire and withdraw from the remainder of the race, unless such assistance did not aid the swimmer in making forward progress. No swimmer shall return to the race if the official rendering assistance requests that the participant withdraws from the race or receives medical assistance.
11. Follow the instructions of race marshals and officials at all times.
1. Mountain bikes are the only type of bike allowed for this race.
** Some additional provisions regarding mountain bikes:
a. No Cyclo-Cross bikes allowed
b. No drop bars or aero bars allowed
c. Bar extensions or grips off the handlebars may not exceed five (5) inches d. All bikes must have 24, 26, 27.5 or 29 inch wheels
d. All bar ends must be securely capped.
2. There will be a mandatory bike check at transition on Saturday.
3. All bikes must be checked in transition before races.
4. Shoes, shirt, and helmets must be worn at all times while on the bike course.
5. Bike numbers must be attached to the front handlebar. (It is not necessary to wear the run number during the bike segment. Mountain Bike numbers are large and obvious; therefore it is not mandatory to wear a run number for identification purposes.)
6. Helmet must be clipped before the bike is removed from the rack in transition and cannot be unclipped until the bike is securely racked till back to transition after completing the bike course.
7. No riding inside transition at any time.
8. Mount and dismount at the designated areas only.
9. Drafting is allowed.
10. Always ride on the right side of the road. Over take on the left and return to the right as soon as it is safe to do so.
11. Passing Etiquette: Slower riders must yield to faster riders. Faster riders must clearly speak a passing command, “Bike!” or “On your left!” when overtaking, and overtaking must be done safely. If two racers are fighting for position, the leading rider need not give up position, but the leading rider may not interfere or impede another rider’s progress.
12. Outside assistance from a non-participant or spectator is not allowed at any time on the bike course. This means no receiving food, hydration, tools, or medical assistance from any person not directly involved in the event. (Example of non-participants: family members, friends, spectators, photographers, personal drivers, coaches.)
13. Pacing from a non-competitor or any kind of motorized vehicle is not allowed at any time on the bike course.
14. Participants may walk their bike if needed but must complete the course with their bike.
15. All participants are responsible for their own bike care, maintenance, and repair. An official technical crew will be roving around the racecourse and may assist with repairs but should not be expected to fix basic flats.
16. A sweeper vehicle will sweep the course starting around 3pm to collect any riders who are unable to complete the course because of exhaustion or mechanical failure. Once a participant rides the sweeper vehicle they will be considered DNF (did not finish).
17. Short-cutting and/or cutting trail switchbacks or any part of the course is not permitted and may result in disqualification. A rider is required to stay on the designated trail that is marked and or specified as the race course. It is the rider's responsibility to know the designated racecourse. Lack of tape or barriers on the course will not constitute an excuse for cutting course violations.
18. Participants shall complete the entire bike course on the same mountain bike they started the bike leg on. Participants must back to transition using the same bike when they left with to be allowed to continue the race. No bicycle parts may be left on the course.
19. Participants must give way to medical and emergency personnel at all times on the bike course regardless of their race standing.
20. Participants must complete the entire bike course unassisted. Failure to complete the course correctly will result in disqualification.
1. Shoes and shirt / top are required at all times on the run course.
2. Race number must be clearly visible on the front of the runner at all times. A race belt may be used to secure the race number. Failure to wear a race number on the run will result in disqualification.
3. A runner may run or walk to complete the course.
4. Outside assistance from a non-participant or spectator is not allowed at any time on the run course. This means no receiving food, hydration, water/ice/sponges for cooling off from any person not directly involved in the event.
5. Pacing from a non-participant or any kind of motorized vehicle is not allowed at any time on the run course.
6. No individual or team support vehicle may follow runners around the course.
7. Participants must give way to medical and emergency personnel at all times on the run course regardless of their race standing.
8. Respect local traffic rules and other vehicles on the road at all times.
9. Short-cutting and/or cutting trail switchbacks or any part of the course is not permitted and may result in disqualification. A runner is required to stay on the designated trail that is marked and or specified as the racecourse. It is the runner's responsibility to know the designated racecourse. Lack of tape or barrier on the course will not be constituted as an excuse for cutting course.
10. Runners must complete the entire run course unassisted. Failure to complete the course correctly will result in disqualification.
1. If for any reason a participant cannot finish the race, they must report to the finish line area and return their timing chip. This will result in a DNF (did not finish) result.
2. Littering on the run and bike course is prohibited. Any item that needs to be discarded, including water bottles, gel wrappers, energy bar wrappers, broken bike parts, inner tubes, or clothing items, can only be discarded at aid / hydration stations.
3. In transition area, it is the responsibility of the participant to ensure all race gear is their respective race baskets / boxes / bags.
4. Only participants wearing an XTERRA Italy wristband and race officials will be allowed to enter Transition. No family members, personal bike mechanics or photographers without credentials will be allowed in Transition at any time.
5. Bikes and bags can only be collected by the PARTICIPANT, family members, support staff, coaches, and drivers will NOT be allowed to collect bikes and bags from transition. Participants will be required to present a race number to the transition marshal as proof of bike ownership.
6. Relay participants must remain in the designated waiting areas in transition and wait for their teammate to arrive. They cannot leave transition unless given permission by a race marshal. Once a relay participant has completed their leg of the race they may leave transition but will not be allowed to return to transition until transition opens for bike and race gear collection.
7. MP3 players or any kind of personal music / listening devices with headset are not allowed at any time during the race. Use of a headset will result in disqualification.
8. Race numbers and race registration CANNOT be transferred. Participants found racing under a different name will be disqualified.
9. RELAY TEAMS can consist of 2-3 participants; a participant from another relay team cannot compete as part of a second relay team. No participant registered as an individual may race as part of a relay team.
10. Consider the safety of yourself and other participants at all times during the race. Treat other participants, race officials, race marshals, medical staff, traffic enforcers, and spectators with respect and courtesy before, during and after the race.
11. Participants shall refrain from unsportsmanlike conduct, including the improper use of language or conduct directed toward another participant, race official, race marshal, medical staff or traffic enforcer, and spectators.
12. Any protest relating to race results must be submitted in writing to the Race Director within one hour of the final race cutoff.
13. In case of severe weather on race day, XTERRA Italy reserves the right to make the necessary adjustments to the racecourse to ensure the safety of all participants.
14. XTERRA Italy reserves the right to make rule changes at any time provided all athletes are notified on the website and at the pre-race athlete.
Q) Do I need a license to compete?
A)in order to participate to Triathlon events in Italy you must possess a national license of your triathlon federation. The athletes who do not possess a license can participate requiring the daily membership, which will be released presenting a medical certificate of agonistic sporting fitness to triathlon. Foreign athletes must as well present a medical certificate of agonistic sporting fitness to triathlon, which has to be made in an authorized Italian center.The foreign athletes who do not possess a national federation card must plan it contacting the organization ([email protected]).
Q) What is the cancellation policy?
A)cancellation of the inscription and/or retirement from the race:
Up to 4 months before race day: 50% refund of the inscription’s fee
Up to 2 months before race day: 25% refund of the inscription’s fee
After 2 months before the race no refund will be due.
It is not possible to transfer the inscription from one athlete to another or to another race or year.
Q) How much is the inscription fee?
A) the info about the inscription fee are available on the website in the registration section.
Q) What is included with the inscription?
- race Organization including transition area, swim course, swim safety cover, traffic management for road closures, stewards and equipment for volunteers
- pasta party
- an experience you'll never forget
Q) Does the race reserve qualification slots for World Championship?
A) XTERRA ITALY LAKE SCANNO is assigning 51 qualification slots for World Championship in Maui, Hawaii. Slots will be assigned to different age group, as described in the Hawaii slot section.
Q) Can we compete a relay race?
A)Yes, you can. A 2/3 athletes’ team can compete as Team Relay only in FULL distance competition. follow the registration procedure and add the name of the team in the specific space.
Q) What are the distances of XTERRA lite?
Athletes with less experience, fitness level or who is new to this sport can participate in the XTERRA sprint race. The distances are: swimming 750mt, mountain biking 12 km followed by 5 km of trail running. Athletes also have the opportunity to participate as a relay (for friends and families).
For information on maps, elevation profiles, etc., please visit the routes section.
Q) What are the distances of XTERRA full?
The distances of XTERRA Italy championship are: swimming 1,5 km, mountain biking 30 km followed by 10 km running trail. The athletes also have the opportunity to participate as a team relay (for friends and families).
For information on maps, elevation profiles, etc., please visit the course information section.
Q) Who can participate in XTERRA Italy?
Athletes over the age of 16 (only sprint race 18 for the full) are eligible to participate in the event.
In general, anyone can make our races. mothers, fathers, CEOs, teachers, surfers, cyclists ... more or less all with the passion of sport in nature.
|XTERRA LAKE SCANNO FULL Staffetta/relay - ...||$150.00 until|
|XTERRA LAKE SCANNO SPRINT - XTERRA LAKE SC...||$70.00 until|
|XTERRA LAKE SCANNO FULL - XTERRA LAKE SCAN...||$140.00 until|
|XTERRA Lake Scanno Trail Run - XTERRA Lake...||Click to Find Out|
|XTERRA FULL ISCRIZIONE DOPPIE ( Lago di Ga...||$240.00 until|
|XTERRA FULL RISERVATA ATLETI ELITE/PROFESS...||Click to Find Out|