The goal of the event is to provide a truly competitive racing experience for the participants while adhering to all CDC social distancing and safety guidelines.
The event will take place on Sunday, September 6 at New Canaan High School. The race will have a time-trial type set up which will allow runners to start individually or in small groups of associated participants (family member or participants that live together) during designated times between 7 AM-9 AM. While registering, participants will be asked to select a 15-minute starting time slot, or wave. Participants may begin their race anytime during the selected wave. There is a limit of 25 starting positions available for each wave, available on a first come, first serve basis. In order to maintain safe distancing and traffic control on the race course participants must start during their selected wave. If a particular wave is not available it means it has reached the maximum number of participants for that time slot. The race course will remain open until 9:30 AM - register accordingly if you plan to take longer than 30 minutes.
A 2-hour chip start window will allow you to start whenever you want and allow you to stay socially distant without being socially absent.
Here is how it'll work:
1. Register ahead of time online from this website. Online registration will remain open until after the race window, so you can register Sunday morning before you leave home, or even in your car on your phone at the race site. When you register, be sure to opt in for text messages so you can receive your time right after finishing (see #4 below). You'll be asked to choose a 15-minute wave when you register, but that can be switched easily on race day if your plans change. If the wave you desire is full, please choose another one.
2. There will be no water provided before the race or on course. Runners are asked to be self-sufficient. We will provide bottled water at the finish.
3. Try to arrive no more than 15 minutes before your assigned wave. Please park in the South School lot, and walk to NCHS to check in. If South School lot is full, use the main NCHS lot in front or north of the school, watching out for runners who may be on the course competing. The lower lot will be closed to parking.
Runners are required to wear a mask when you are not running (warming up, cooling down, or racing) and maintain social distance when lining up to check in or use the bathroom facilities (we will mark 6-foot intervals with cones, flags, or chalk).
4. At 6:45 AM we will set out a bib pick-up area, probably in the north parking lot of the high school. The safety pins and bibs are clean of course, but we will set out some hand sanitizer for those who wish to use it.
5. When you grab your bib, call out your number to the race official (standing a social distance away) who will input it into the system, and tell you what size shirt you selected. There will be a a table with shirts, sorted by size, on a table past the check-in area - take the appropriate size from that supply.
Pin your bib on the front of your shirt or shorts, run across the timing mats at the start just north of the tennis courts and make sure you hear a beep, then run the course (map below). Don't worry if you hear a beep if you get near the mats before you start; the system is set to count your last tag read at the start.
The course will be a certified 5 km route through the trails and roads of Waveny Park, with every mile and halfway marked. There will be a digital clock that will display the time of day at the start and finish so you may want to wait for an even minute to come up to make the math simpler. The course is also RaceJoy enabled, so if you download that free app and carry your phone you'll get mile splits and directional cues before each turn. There may be walkers or non-competing runners on the trails during the race - please be respectful when passing them.
6. When you come out of the path between the tennis courts and turf fields turn left toward the start, then make a quick right down the hill next to Dunning Field, then left in the lower parking lot, keeping the school buses to your left. The finish line is at the far end of the lot, almost to Farm Road. When you finish cross the mat and listen for the beep. Check the clock and do the math for your time. By the time you catch your breath and get back to your car, you should have received a text with your time and place (the latter will change as more runners finish) if you registered ahead of time (race day entrants may not get text notifications). As participants finish, they will receive a text message and/or email with their finishing time. A list of overall finishing times for all competitors will be continually updated in real time at Live Results.
7. Please do not congregate near the finish area once you have completed your race. If you want to cool down please do so in small groups, maintaining social distance, and being cognizant of other runners who may still be competing.
8. To help ensure the safety of the participants all participants must adhere to the following requirements:
Failure to adhere to any of the stated race requirements will result in the immediate disqualification.
Please keep in mind that your cooperation and adherence to all safe distancing practices is the key to us being able to offer competitive events like this in the foreseeable future.
|Virtual 5K Run||Click to Find Out||Register »|
|5K Run||Click to Find Out||Register »|